Homemade hummus with tahini is one of the most Israeli dishes there is: tasty, healthy, and nutritious. You can buy ready-made hummus, but nothing beats a dedicated homemade version! Here's a recipe for perfect homemade hummus!
Photography: Alon Masiyka
Ingredients for 4-6 servings
For the hummus:
2 cups of chickpeas
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
3/4 cup of Al Araz tahini
1/2 cup of lemon juice
1 teaspoon of salt
For the tahini (for serving):
1 cup of Al Araz tahini
Juice squeezed from 1/2 a lemon or more to taste
3/4 cup of cold water
1-2 crushed garlic cloves (optional)
Salt to taste
Additionally, for serving:
Fresh pita bread
- Preparing the hummus: The night before, soak the chickpeas in plenty of water overnight (if it’s hot – preferably in the refrigerator). Drain, transfer to a pot, cover with plenty of water, add the baking soda and cook for about two hours until fully softened. Drain and set aside a handful of chickpeas for serving.
- Mix in a bowl the tahini, lemon juice, and salt to a consistent and thick mixture.
- Grind the cooked chickpeas and tahini mixture in a food processor to a uniform and creamy spread (don’t wash the tahini bowl yet). If needed, add a bit of water. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Preparing the tahini for serving: In a bowl, mix the tahini, lemon juice, water, garlic (optional), and salt into a smooth and desired texture mixture (if needed, add a little more water). Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Spread the hummus on serving plates, generously pour the tahini on top, sprinkle the chickpeas, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle parsley and paprika, and serve with pita on the side.